I have mentioned in previous posts that I consider my style to be edgy, casual, and laid-back, and you will probably notice this once I get more outfits posted, but there are certain articles of clothing that I personally cannot live without and think every girl needs in her wardrobe, plus-size or not.
1. Black Leather Jacket: If you have been keeping up with my blog, you know I love a good jacket. Most days, I build my outfit around the jacket I plan on wearing. I especially love to wear (faux) leather. There is nothing that makes me feel more confident, sexy, and kick-ass than a sweet (faux) leather jacket, and I feel every woman should experience that!
2. Little Black Dress: I'm sure it is no surprise that I included a little black dress (LBD) in my list since it is arguably one of the most important staples in a woman's wardrobe. A little black dress is great because it is such a versatile, timeless piece that can be dressed up or dressed down (depending on the occasion), but at the same time, when wearing an LBD, you are never under dressed. Not to mention, LBDs are available in so many different styles! You just can't go wrong.
3. A Sleek Blazer: Like I said, I consider my style to be laid-back & casual, but I still think it's extremely important to have at least a couple articles of clothing that can be worn in a professional setting, like a work meeting or interview, for example. I prefer a sleek, black blazer just because I feel like it can be paired with almost anything and still look very sophisticated and put together, but do not be afraid to add a little color! I do also have a turquoise blazer in my wardrobe, just in case I want to brighten my outfit up a little bit.
4. Medium/Dark-Wash Skinny Jeans: Medium and/or dark-wash skinny jeans are an absolute must-have. They, too, are a extremely versatile staple in that they can be dressed-up, dressed-down, and can be worn during the day and at night. Not to mention you can wear them with just about any type of shoes (aside from maybe hiking boots or gym shoes), including sandals, flats, boots, casual sneakers, and heels. Despite what some people think, medium/dark-wash skinny jeans are also flattering and slimming, and I, personally, think they look great on any body type. People that waste their time hating on plus-size women that wear skinny jeans need a fucking hobby. Ignore them.
5. Plaid/Chambray Button up: I have had a chambray button-up in my wardrobe for some time now, and I absolutely love it! I also recently thrifted a few plaid, flannel button-ups and my first thought was, "Why the hell didn't I buy these sooner?!" Both plaid and chambray button-ups are so unbelievably comfortable and easy to wear, and if you thrift them (like I did), there are also inexpensive, which is a major plus. And I love them because they completely match my edgy, casual style. My favorite way to wear them is over a loose-fit tank or t-shirt and either leggings or skinny jeans.
6. Boyfriend Jeans: I know that some people don't like the way boyfriend jeans look or fit, and that's fine, but I definitely consider them to be a wardrobe staple. I tend to purchase my boyfriend jeans in a light-wash with some distressing. Something about it feels more casual and edgy, which I like. Some people would disagree, but I find these jeans to be a very all-around pair as well. I like to wear mine with a simple white tank top or loose-fit v-neck t-shirt and a pair of sneakers or sandals, but I've seen women wear them with cute blouses and heels, and that looks great as well.
7. Black Leggings: Leggings in general are so comfortable, they are usually fairly inexpensive, and they come in so many different style and prints and textures. My personal favorites are plain black leggings, if I could, I would wear black leggings every single day, I love them so much. Black leggings can be worn so many different ways! You can wear them with oversized sweaters and t-shirts, they are great for layering, you can wear them while you're lounging around your house, when you're out running errands, or when you're going out to the club with your friends. And like skinny jeans, they can be worn with just about any type of shoe!
8. Basic T-shirts: I believe I've mentioned this before, but I like to buy basic pieces of clothing so that I can style and accessorize them a number of different ways. A couple of my absolute favorites are black & white loose-fit t-shirts. The reason I love them so much is because they are so effortless. You can wear them with jeans, shorts, leggings, tucked into a skirt, under a blazer, paired with sweatpants...You can wear them with EVERYTHING. If I'm ever having trouble finding something to wear or putting an outfit together, I will usually end up wearing a either a plain black or white t-shirt.
9. Black Booties: I love black booties because they come in so many different styles: You can get them flat, with a chunky heel, a high heel, a wedge. You can get slip-on black booties, you can get them with buckles, with zippers, laces, with studs. The possibilities are endless. I don't wear heels very often (if ever). They're so uncomfortable and difficult for me to walk in, so if I'm looking to gain some height, I opt for black booties that have a 2-3 inch chunky heel. I find them extremely comfortable and wearable, an they, too, can be dressed-up or dressed-down, and if you haven't already noticed, that is a feature that I LOVE in fashion. I love them so much, that I actually have six or seven pairs of black booties alone.
10. Sneakers: My most worn shoes are without a doubt my black Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars. I purchase a new pair of these once every year or so, because I wear them so much. They're such comfortable, casual, classic shoes, and I think everyone should have a pair. I wear them with boyfriend jeans, skinny jeans, leggings, denim shorts, and sometimes even with skirts and dresses. I wear them with my denim jacket, leather jacket, blazers, plaid button-ups...I basically wear them with everything. They really are the perfect sneaker!